Thursday, January 19, 2012

Burnet, Texas



If you've been following this blog, you've most likely realized by now that I do a lot of Texas posts.  Well, being a native Texan, I've spent a good chunk of time looking around Texas on Google Earth and following Texas news so I feel like I can always find good material there.  Currently, with the fires and extreme drought this past year, I've been waiting for images from this summer and fall to make their way into public availability.  These past two months have really given me a lot to work with so I may have multiple Texas posts.  That being said, I'll try not to overload y'all with Texas imagery.

With the drought being slightly alleviated but still ongoing, Lake levels have been falling all over the state.  Some lakes more than others have really been affected.  Lake Buchanan is one in particular that has fallen significantly.  This graph from lakesonline.com shows the levels for the 2011 and 2012.

After that especially steep summer drop, the lake has leveled off around 988 ft. 

I thought I'd try and provide topo maps for some of my posts from now on so here's the topo for Lake Buchanan followed by the Google Earth imagery.

TOPO


January 31, 2008


October 17, 2011



You can find it yourself on Google Earth using these coords:     30°49'25.35"N     98°24'35.90"W

Check back next week to see the effects of an earthquake in a large, southern-hemisphere city.

No comments:

Post a Comment